Monday, January 31, 2005

Changing the Future in Education

Changing the Future in Education

1. If you are preparing to teach, what are you taking away from Delpit’s article regarding language and power that might help you as a teacher, and how could you apply these ideas to your proposed level of teaching?


I am planning to teach elementary school once I get my degree, and I agree with what Delpit said in her article. I think that we need to focus more on the education and teachers to need to have more experience to fulfill the duties of a teacher. Now that I see how she explains how power is enacted in classrooms, I can make a conscience decision to stop some of the issues she mentioned. My thought is to keep everyone at a level playing field, no favorites, and help the ones that struggle. I want to identify with each student and not base their education on looks or race. I want to work in a bilingual classroom in the future, so I understand some of what it takes to lead a diverse classroom. I have had personal experience living in another country, and dealing with a broad range of students that spoke many languages and were from many different countries, but have formed together and become a whole classroom, as one. I agree with what she says about some people not understanding the power that they have acquired in their own work, but after reading this, I think I will be able to make a conscience decision about my actions, and how they can be portrayed.
-Lindsay Horsley

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home