Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Teaching and the Application of Delpit’s Ideas

As discussed in the article, different cultures and socioeconomic classes use language that reflect the codes and rules of their own culture or class, and codes and language differ from one culture to the next. As a high school teacher, I should not assume that all of my students are capable of picking up on the codes of my White middle-class culture. It is important for me to learn other culture codes to effectively teach students from all backgrounds. This can be done by analyzing the communication used between students of the same culture and using their methods of communication when teaching. I need to be able to step outside my culture and value alternative world views by hearing what students have to say and internalizing those beliefs. It is equally important for me to teach multicultural students the codes and rules of the culture of power, so they can function and excel within that culture of power. I can apply this idea by teaching Formal English and the concept of appropriate audience. Lastly, the article stresses the importance of using explicit language not only to ensure equal educational opportunity, but to gain and maintain students’ respect. Delpit claims that if respect is established, then students foreign to the codes of the culture of power will not be regarded as delinquent. This application requires the implementation of direct speech. I also need to be aware of my language and the impact my language has on the behavior of my students. Instead condemning “bad” behavior and dismissing it as just that, I will need to reflect on my language and alter it.

1 Comments:

At May 12, 2010 at 5:13 PM, Blogger Zachery Smith said...

Great post. You sound like you'll make an excellent teacher.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home